As a kid, I remember going school shopping at the end of every Summer, when it’s hot. So of course, I gravitated towards Summer specific clothing, only to fall in love with a pair of shorts or a shirt that wasn’t Winter friendly. I’ve tried to focus on pieces that I believe can, for the most part, transition into more than one season. Why buy something you really love, only to be able to wear it 3 months out of the year? There are just 10 more pieces I believe every woman should have in her closet, bringing the total to 30 items. Like most minimalists, I don’t count workout wear or lingerie into the mix. 5 of the 10 are coats, and since they are very season specific, I will address them in another post. The other 5 out of the 10 are listed below:
1. A black blazer. A blazer is an easy item to throw over any outfit to dress it up. Most people think of a blazer as specific to corporate wear, but it all depends on the blazer and its detailing. Don’t buy a traditional looking blazer because you think you might need one for a business meeting. Choose one that you love, that matches YOUR style, one that you would actually wear regardless of a meeting. See a few examples below:
2. A summer dress: While 4 of the 5 dresses I listed in my earlier post could easily be worn in Summer depending on the sleeves and material, I thought it was important to add a dress that is specifically for Summer. Of course, this Summer dress can also be transitioned into Spring or Fall by adding a sweater or your black blazer!
3. A jumpsuit. This is one of those items that tends to go in and out of fashion, but who cares? To me, it’s too versatile a piece to leave out. Choose a pantsuit with, at a minimum, a straight leg. You want the pant area to flow a little. A skinny or pencil leg will date it and take away from the versatility. It can be incredibly chic with heels and some accessories. Throw on some flip flops and you are ready for a walk on the beach. Throw your black blazer over it and you have an instant pantsuit. No one has to know there’s a jumpsuit under there! There are tons of necklines to choose from. Show of those sexy shoulders or beautiful collarbone!
4. A long evening gown. I know, I know, it’s one of those things you rarely wear, but I think every woman should have ONE in her closet. You just never know when you might need it. Luckily, colors tend to go in and out of fashion, but for the most part, the only thing that might change season to season with a long gown is the amount of poof at the bottom.
5. A maxi skirt. Another one of those amazing items that can be dressed up or down. Wear it with your white t-shirt and sandals or throw on your silk blouse and some heels. They are super comfortable, great for travel, easily transition into any season and come in any color/style that makes you happy!
5 coats/jackets coming soon!